This proportionality of this recipe is designed for a dinner tonight and several quarts of sauce to freeze for future meals.
· 2 large cans of Hunts Tomato Sauce (Sam’s Club size)
· 4 cans of tomato paste (12oz size)
· 2 yellow onions—diced
· 10 cloves of garlic—minced or pressed
· 4 tablespoons of sugar
· Liberal amounts of: Italian seasonings, Olive oil, Red wine, Capers, and Kalamata Olives
· Heavy Cream
In a large pot:
1. Caramelize onions in olive oil
2. Add: sauce, sugar, and paste—stir together with enough wine to thin the sauce (but not too much)
3. Add: garlic, capers, olives, and Italian seasonings—stir and let simmer on low for hours (at least 2) stirring occasionally. (Note: I will also add more olive oil for a total of about ¾ of a cup used over all for this recipe)
4. After simmering, taste and adjust: seasoning/wine/olive-caper ratio as desired.
5. Before serving—introduce heavy cream (at least two cups) stir, let simmer a bit and then taste once more. This is designed to be a delicious, pungent sauce so once you taste it you should be impressed with your work and delighted to present it to others.
Goes well with spaghetti squash, angel hair, penne, or loaves of semolina or baguettes. My family calls it “The Special Sauce”.